Tuesday 25 February 2014

To hell with it that all things work together for my good

When times of difficulty comes, it is hard to say that all things work together for good. That promise which we so utter well when things are good now becomes shallow in the soul.

'O where is God now', the despairing soul cries. 'How can a loving God mean this bad situation for my good.'

A son dies. Poverty hits due to theft. Depression comes uninvited. Stressed out. Feeling hopeless because of unemployment. Addicted to drugs because of past abuse. And etc.

It all hits you at once. Drowned by the unforeseen hands of calamity. 'And all this is suppose to work for my good?'

'O to hell with it', the faithless cries.

That mustard seed of faith has now been ate by birds. Silence is now his portion towards God. No, anger. 'Why me?' the unfortunate man cries. 'Why me!'

What can the pastor say except to repeat those words that has become shallow in the man's soul. O what can he say that could effect such a one whose anger against God has overwhelmed him. O what can the pastor say. What can his friends do.

There is one thing to do for such a soul, and that thing is to pray. It is to pray hard. It is to fast on their behalf and beseech the Sovereign God who made such loving awful circumstances to come their way, to grant him faith to endure. Yes, God is capable of such a miracle. Your words alone will be as you screaming to a deaf man to avoid the danger ahead. But your prayers will open his ears.

Every believer has their limit. Human strength alone will fail if it tries to resist the awful weight of the world. But God's grace is limitless. When God applies his grace to a soul downcast because of misery, that unfortunate man is able to believe again. He is able to look upon his circumstances as gestures of love. He will say in his miserable soul, 'these are the sure proofs that my God loves me.'

But until God gives that light in the soul, until he grants strength to uphold, then that unfortunate man shall be a prodigal forever. He will consider the poverty of his state and consider the fortune in his father's palace. But his lack of faith in his father's goodness will fix his bottom with with the pigs.

O when times of difficulty comes, it is hard to say that God does work all things together for our good. But he really does. O yes he does. That I have no doubt. It is why I pray now for me and you that when that hour does come, which will surely come, that God may grant you and me strength in that awful hour to endure. If it is your sins that you feel has brought about such awful circumstances to you, fret not. For in Isaiah 54:7-8 God says, For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you.  In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you," says the LORD, your Redeemer. 

K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...