Wednesday 14 July 2010

Understanding Ephesians 1





Recently, I met up with a couple of people to read the epistle to the Ephesians and to pray. Ephesians was John Calvin’s favourite letter and Armitage Robinson called it ‘the crown of St Paul’s writings’. One person describes their experience after reading Ephesians, ‘I saw a new world, everything was new, I had a new outlook, new experiences, new attitudes to other people. I loved God, Jesus Christ became the centre of everything.. I had been quickened, I was really alive’.

In finishing the first chapter, it was amazing to see the Sovereign pleasure of God in working out our salvation. Eph 1:4-6, ‘in love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will- to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the one he loves and also eph 1:11-12 says that we were chosen in Him, ‘having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything  according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.’ My salvation is completely of God and he planned it before I was born and my response is shown in verse 13, ‘in him, you also when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy spirit’.

God is so amazing and I just want to forever praise his name because of who he is and what he has done for us in Christ Jesus.  And my prayer is that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened, that I may know what is the hope to which he has called me, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power towards us who believe.

K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...