Wednesday 1 February 2012

My outline for UWECU sermon - Why we do mission

1. Because God is missional

- John 3:16 For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in him will never perish but have eternal life

In this text we see the missional heart of God - For God so love the world that is God the Father loved the world and this love was not a passive love but active - He looks at the whole of creation
 - it made him give and what did he give - His Son Jesus Christ who is the exact representation of his being as Hebrews tells us

- and Jesus is God john 1:1 and became flesh John 1:14  - Just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep John 10:15 and vs. 17 and 18 says For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me but I lay it down of my own accord and I have authority to take it up again.

We see the missional heart of God - in Love he sends his Son to die so that whoever believes will not perish but have eternal life. And if God has given his son to die for us beware of doubting his kindness and love in any painful providence of our daily life….


2. Jesus commands us

-  John 20:21, “Peace be with you. As the father has sent me, even so I am sending you”.  What is Jesus sending his disciples and followers to do? Matthew 28:19 All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you . And behold I am with you always, to the end of the age.  - Jesus knows our feeble nature so He comforts us with a promise I am with you till the end - wherever you go I go- you asking your friends to come to an event in the mission week jesus says I am with you - you are sharing the gospel with your hostile flatmates Jesus says I am with you - you are laying your life down for your friends and you are getting no recognition Jesus says I am with you -

The great commision is not optional it is a command -just as the Father sent Jesus into the world to save sinners likewise Jesus sends us into the world to bring the goodnews of the gospel to the universities, to the societies to the world - to your flatmates and course mates - it is not optional as a christian - your life is a witness - a witness of the of  the glorious gospel of christ that bids sinners to come and live, for failures and sinners to be made righteous….

- John 14:15 If you Love me you will keep my commandments - there’s a test for you right there - a sure sign to know that you genuinely love Jesus is always that you are obeying His commandments and that with great love and joy - Jesus says love your enemies - bring this gospel to those who do not yet know it - will you do that this mission week, for the rest of your lives?

3. For our Joy and theirs

- 1 Cor 9:23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings -  what does Paul mean by doing it all - that his the way he lives -his whole lifestyle is all for the spreading and knowledge of the Gospel of Christ so that they may share in its blessings -  how does he do this  -
1 cor 9:19 for though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all that I might win more of them -  who is them - that is those who have not come to share in its blessings - what are some of the blessings? it is said that the highest form of selfishness is that of the person who is content to go to heaven alone - Paul wasn’t content - so to the Jew he became as a Jew in other to win Jews - to the weak he became weak in other to win the weak - he became all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. There was a furious jealousy in the heart of Paul for people to treasure and savour Christ - for them to rejoice and be glad in Jesus  as - The psalmist says “Let the peoples praise you O God, Let all the people praise you. Let the Nations be glad and sing for joy”  - why - so that God be glorified in His Son Jesus Christ. How are they going to do that? If they have not believed and how can they believe if they have not heard -and how can they hear if there is no on willing to tell them and show them - to spend their lives with them like William Carey who lived among the Indians for forty years and known as the Father of modern missions….

And I want to pray for you guys the same prayer that Paul prayed for Philemon in Philemon 1:6 And I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ…..

K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...