Friday 11 March 2011

Jesus, I want to walk like you walked

A true disciple seek to imitate their teacher, for the Christian, Jesus as well as being our Lord and saviour is our teacher. We have the embodiment of his teachings in the collection of books we have in the bible and we ought to have the same mind as Christ who says of His own Father that He only does what His Father does, John 5:19. John tells us that whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did, 1 John 2:6. As a Christian I am to walk as Jesus did while he was here on earth. Here is meant to walk in the holiness and purity and to display the goodness that Christ displayed while he was here on earth. Jesus commands His disciples that they are to continue his work in spreading the gospel “The time has come”, he said. “The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news”. “Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men”, Mark 1:15&17. “…. go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you”… Mathew 28:19-20. And we read in Mark 16:20 that the ‘disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it’. Jesus also says to his disciples,  “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it”, John 14:12-14. Should you not read these words as if Jesus is saying it to you today if you are a disciple, should you not be encouraged that you are able to do what Jesus did while he was here on earth.

My prayer to my Father is to do his will and that is easier said than done. I long to do what Jesus did and to walk how he walked. Of course we are in a different context and environment but we have the same Spirit. We have the Spirit for guidance, the bible to lead us and Christ himself has given us a pattern. So as a student I am to walk in love, to seek the outcast, to pray, to do all to the glory of God. I am to carry my cross and deny myself, I am not here at university to do as I please but to do as He please. My constant mindset should always be how can I live and glorify Jesus in this area. But I have fallen extremely short. I am meant to be a slave for Christ but at times I have sought freedom although I have not realised it but my actions are quick to betray me. My prayer is to walk as Jesus walked and while this is naturally impossible, it is possible if I am filled with the Holy Spirit for it is then will I be able to walk in Love and power to glorify my Lord and Saviour.

K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...