Wednesday 15 September 2021

What am I doing in my own strength?

Without Christ I can do nothing (John 15:5). What are all the things that I am trying to do without Christ? This is to say that what are the things I am trying to do in my own strength? 

Upon reflection, the things I am trying to do in my own strength is to bring about the desired results that I want, namely success in the flesh so that I can walk proudly in this world. We will come back to this. Let us focus on what Jesus said to his disciples. 'Apart from me, you can do nothing.' 


Someone may say but each day we see many men and women do a great deal in the world. There are billions that are not in Christ who have advanced the world greatly. They have done something rather than nothing. We must acknowledge that this passage is speaking about those in Christ bearing fruit as it pertains to the Kingdom of God. But also, there are men and women that are not in Christ who are not Christians, who are not abiding in Christ so consequently they cannot bear fruit for they are not in the vine. It is said elsewhere that for whatever does not proceed from faith is sin, (Romans 14:23). This is to say as Augustine puts it: 


'Not that you may say, “Before I believed I was already doing good works, and therefore was I chosen.” For what good work can be prior to faith, when the apostle says, “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin”?' (Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 7). 


So, those that are not in Christ are really doing a great deal of nothing because it does not proceed from faith and therefore it is not done for Christ which ultimately makes it vain. It is sinful although the benefits may result in a great deal of benefit for mankind. For example, the atheist who feeds the poor has done in worldly terms a good thing but this very thing does not please God because as it says in Hebrews 11:6 that without faith it is impossible to please God.  


Faith and action are two sides of the same coin if it is to please God. And this faith will naturally proceed from the people who are in Christ and they are the ones who can bear true lasting fruit. On the day of judgement it is not the act alone that will be judged but the motives too which is where all that are without Christ will be found wanting. Let me not be found wanting in my motives. May I do all that I do in faith which will glorify God.  


Now to go back to what I started with in asking the question, what are the things that I am trying to do in my own strength? To ask this another way, what are the things that I am doing without faith? Faith will leave the end results to God's good pleasure.  


In my work, sometimes I work in my own strength and forget that I am really doing this for Christ so I ought to always display that Christian attitude and energy even if it is contrary to my work expectations. I must work in the strength of Christ and always in faith. I will do well if I do a thing and say into your hands I commit my deeds.  
 
In my relationships, sometimes I want all to like me so much so that I play the man. I am not resting on the strength of Christ. Or I am so lazy in maintaining relationships that I am not walking in the strength of Christ and would rather eschew my responsibility so as to avoid all hurt and pains. 


At times, I fail to honour my parents.  Whatever it may cost me, I should not be afraid to lead a lady or pursue her whom I so desire even if she refuses me because I walk in the strength of Christ. And I should not play the field as to take upon myself a non-Christian lady and lead her on for in this I am not walking in the strength of Christ but fulfilling my own desires because of a lack of faith that Christ can fulfil my needs. I should not be so weakened by past rejections that I fail to trust anyone or love anyone. Faith forgets what is behind and presses continuously towards Christ. Christ is able to heal if I walk in his strength.  


I should be content with what I have and at the same time strive to increase in all avenues in the strength of Christ. Ambition is a great thing and even greater when grounded in Christ. Christ would see that his disciples go about all the earth to make disciples of every people. Jerusalem was not enough!  

I have many failings and I have done many things in my own strength. My prayer is that this becomes less and less and that each day I always remember that I have Jesus and can always do all things through him who gladly strengthens me.  


K.Oni 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We live and we die

 We live and we die and we are forgotten. Life is a constantly growing rose  That never kisses the sky. Our goodbyes is soon forgotten And d...