Sunday 19 December 2010

Upward call to Heaven

This is my poor attempt to imitate the wonderful book called ‘Stepping Heavenward’. The book is written in a journal style format and it details the story of a girl as she lives her life and grow in godliness. Its worth a read for all girls and boys perhaps may learn from it as well. I am currently reading it and it has inspired me to imitate Prentiss style and write one of my own, titled, ‘Upward call to heaven’. I will be writing it and posting it up in parts. You can download and read Stepping heavenward from this link: Stepping Heavenward.


Upward Call to Heaven (2)

I woke up this morning with a light hearted sickness on my chest. I was sure to say my prayers that perhaps God would make me better. I remember the stories of instant healing where Christ would lay His hands on the sick like He did with Peter’s mother and the fever left her. Perhaps mama could be that to me this morning but she would only say rest a while and my prayers would always be for you.

I staggered out of bed and stumbled to the door, my stature was weak and mama would notice for I wanted to go to class today because there we would learn how to write poetry and poetry was my favourite literature. The Psalms of David were my best in the bible but I am nothing like him. He was handsome and faithful, my manner is quite different and I don’t suppose a preacher is at hand to walk in and anoint me to be the next apostle of this town.

Slowly I drifted downstairs, and there was Mother, prettier than all the flowers of the field, a sparkle in her mellow eyes to greet me with the arms of love and immediately she sat me on the chair. She covered me with all the garments of the house to keep me warm and I knew that poetry would be for another day. She made me a most delightful breakfast and provided me with all the necessities of my day for she was a worker. Her job was at the church, the minister’s assistant and the carer of the sick. Her soul was so given to others that I feel that she has many children but I am her alone offspring. It was clear from her eyes that she didn’t want to leave me but I assured her of my comfort and with a warm kiss she touched my head.

Alone now but not for long as Amelia burst through the door repetitively calling my name not knowing of my sickness for I had made her late. She saw me on the chair, wrapped and covered, and because of her sharp nature she knew immediately that I was a sick creature. Her eyes watered for her heart was the same as my Mother. She came closer and offered to make me a hot drink. ‘You will be late’, I told her. ‘Hurry your legs to school so that you don’t miss class, for you have a good reputation’.  Then she said, ‘I will come by after school and come to you for the weekend to be your nurse; I know of your sweet taste to poetry and I shall teach you all that I’ve learnt. Be well soon, I shall pray for you with all of my whole heart’. she hurried of to class but her words brightened my day. All of my excitement are now stored up in the moment when she shall be my teacher and nurse. I would do the same for her.

I thought of what to do with my day, reading my bible would impress mother. I began in the first chapter of Romans but my disposition was to weak to digest any complicated assortments. I retired to rest and therein my day consisted.

K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

We live and we die

 We live and we die and we are forgotten. Life is a constantly growing rose  That never kisses the sky. Our goodbyes is soon forgotten And d...