Tuesday 22 January 2013

Book review: The Conviction To Lead


 People are captivated by the idea of leadership. For the last two decades, the public’s fascination with leadership has grown exponentially. I studied leadership as a module in my final year at university, and let’s just say that there was as many different definitions of leadership as there are people who have tried to define it.

How would you define leadership?

Albert Mohler states his intention clearly and warns the reader right up front that "my goal is to change the way you think about leadership. I do not aim merely to add one more voice to the conversation; I want to fundamentally change the way leadership is understood and practiced."

Was Mohler successful in changing the way I thought about leadership?

What Mohler thumped in me through this book, was simply the centrality of what a leader believes to permeate their leadership. Mohler writes: "The church desperately needs . . . effective leaders who are authentically Christian-whose leadership flows out of their Christian commitment."

Albert Mohler states his grand objective when He writes:

"I want to turn the Believers into Leaders and the Leaders into Believers. My goal is to know the blocks out from under the current models of leadership and forge a new way. I stake my life on the priority of right beliefs and convictions, and I want to lead so that those very beliefs are perpetuated in others . . . My goal is to redefine Christian leadership so that it is inseparable from passionately held beliefs, and so motivate those who are deeply committed to truth to be ready for leadership."

In this book Albert Mohler speaks with authority, by applying scripture to leadership and drawing on His own experience in being president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Conviction to lead is a good introduction and abiding principle to leadership, especially for those in church context. But one might need other leadership text along with Conviction to lead, if one is in another field of work.

K.Oni

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...