Saturday 14 May 2011

Plenty of food

A good reason for avoiding revision is by volunteering at the wild goose café which exist to serve the homeless people of Bristol. It provides free meals in the evening and in the day to those who are less fortunate and are in need for a meal to nourish their souls. I helped out in the evening and whilst in the day I felt remarkably tired due to a lack of sustenance nevertheless my essence was in a jubilant shape because of how my day was merrily spent.

I was picked up at seven in the evening and shortly arrived at the café. The street outside displayed a multicultural display of the citizens who represented the community. Upon entering the café, we were jovial at the abundance of food provided and how happy many will feel at the abundance of drink that they could have and take away. The evening produced such excitements and many of the volunteers were glad to serve and we each did our duty with gladness of heart.


I took the role of buttering the bread for a while and this duty occupied me for almost the first 45 minutes and then I engaged in washing up. For a reason known to myself I wanted to do this task and in doing this duty I began to reflect as is common to my spirit. Washing the trays I pondered that Christ is the washer of my life, that I, a sinner is dirty and unclean but Christ has washed me (1 Cor 6) and is also continually washing me (sanctification) until I am fully transformed to His image.


I took the time to talk to some people and I asked them each this question. I asked some whether they were looking forward to tomorrow. The answer given was almost universal in the sense that their answer portrayed a pessimistic attitude and a flavour of survival. I was saddened by this reaction but knew not how to console their souls for our time was brief. I commented to one that I was looking forward to tomorrow especially the morning. He asked me why and I told him it was because God’s mercies are renewed every morning so I cannot wait for the rising of the sun for God’s mercies are renewed towards me. He marvelled and nod his head and went about his way. My spirit was exceedingly high for the evening and time soon demanded our departure.


There was a guy at the end whose condition was of a drunken soul and felt not to be of this world as his mind was fixed in another realm and he came late and begged for food. But all the food had been happily eaten and thus could only offer him a handful of bread and water. He complained and begged a while and then conceded and retire with the only food available. May God bless his soul and aid him in the process of his recovery.


Also I learnt a sad tale because one of the volunteers whom I have grown to love is leaving and tonight was his penultimate service. He is to leave and bid us farewell and I as I am able to remember in two weeks will endeavour to bring him a card or a gift. He dropped me home and  then I fell sweetly upon my bed to contemplate the word’s of Christ in John 14 and then slept with a full mind at the joy of my beloved being in me and I in Him.


K.Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble comes and trouble goes

Difficulties arise and pass away. Life has a beginning and an end. Who knows when? Some are deliberate  Some are sudden And some are slow. B...